Monday, January 18, 2016

Work and School, Side By Side

I pointed out in one of my earlier posts that school and work are like two sides of the same coin. At this point, I have a point to make about this. I was so excited when a topic came up at work with the title Motivational Interviewing. Dr. Ben (not his real name) presented on this subject over a period of one hour via Webex. We saw PowerPoint slides as he presented. The similarity between what I showed at the start of my blog and this topic of MI is indeed striking.

The heart of the matter is behavior change in the health care setting. How do you as health care providers promote behavior change necessary for compliance and best outcomes in the hospital setting? MI constructs all target behavior change. They include Intrinsic Motivation, Stages of Change, and Social Learning Theory.

According to the presenter, researchers noticed that in the American system healthcare providers were more confrontational when attending to patients; hoping that aggressive behavior would motivate clients to change their behavior. Evidence pointed in the opposite direction, indicating strongly, that motivational interviewing rather than confrontational approach facilitates behavior change. Alongside this evidence the overlay of theories for Intrinsic motivation and stages of change that people go through.

According to the presenter, not much research has gone into this subject especially as it relates to a group setting. How do you apply the concepts that have been studied in individuals to the group setting and organizational change? I see this spot as potential for exploration. In my opinion, and based on the experience of more than fifteen years in the HIV field, organizations and communities share many of the characteristics of individuals in these communities. Whether or not there is research in this area is something I will have to explore in the coming days. (Jan 13, 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment